Government Records Request


  • Access to government records is available to citizens of the USA who are residents of New Jersey.
  • In New Jersey, the term “public record” does not include:
  • Inter-agency or intra-agency advisory, consultative, or deliberative material
  • Any record within the attorney-client privilege
  • Criminal Investigatory Records or Victim’s Records
  • Emergency or security information or procedures for buildings or facilities
  • Computer security information
  • Information regarding labor-management negotiations
  • Individual pension and personnel and grievance records
  • Information which would give an advantage to bidders
  • Information regarding sexual harassment investigations
  • Communications between Frelinghuysen Township and its insurance carrier,
  • administrative service organization or risk manager
  • Data processing software obtained under a license that prohibits disclosures
  • Information to be kept confidential pursuant to Court Order
Form: To request access to government records, you must complete this request form and convey it during regular business hours to the appropriate custodian of the record requested.

The fees for duplication of printed materials are listed below and a copy of the Township’s fee ordinance is available for your review. We will notify you of any special charges authorized by State law or regulation before processing your request. Payment shall be made by cash, check or money order payable to Frelinghuysen Township.

Payment Information:

Copy Fees:

1-10 $.75 per page
11-20 $.50 per page
21-$.25 per page

Extras: Extraordinary service fees dependent upon request-Custodian will provide details.
Deposit: A 50% deposit is required if the estimated fees to provide the record exceeds $25.00. You agree to pay the balance upon receipt of the records.

Seven day time period: The Township’s Custodian of Records must notify you within seven (7) business days from receipt of your request as to whether it is granted or denied. If the record requested is not currently available or is in storage or archived, the custodian will advise you within seven (7) business days when it can be made available and the estimated cost.

Substantial disruption: You may be denied access to a government record if your request would substantially disrupt agency operations and the custodian is unable to reach a reasonable solution with you that accommodates the interests of you and the Township.

Denial: If the custodian is unable to comply with your request for access to a government record, the reasons for denial will be written on the request form and a signed and dated copy will be given to you.

Right to appeal: If your request for access to a government record is denied or unfilled within the time permitted by law, you have right to challenge the denial. At your option, you may either institute a proceeding in the Superior Court of New Jersey or file a complaint in writing with the Government Records Council (GRC) located in the Department of Community Affairs.

Click here to download the Township of Frelinghuysen Government Records Request form.

To learn more about OPRA as it applies to the State of New Jersey and other government agencies, click the following link.
New Jersey Open Public Records Act website: